Error on using Office Updates - Missing MSP Files.

J

Jonty R P

Clear DayHi all,
On the 23rd of October, MissionaryMan posted a message titled 'How do I replace the missing .msp files that Office Update Installed'.

In this message he mentioned the same problem that I am having. When I try to run the Office Update, it gets to about 40% through the scanning of my system and it then gives the following error message:

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.

There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.

Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services </search/redir.aspx?AssetID=XT011180451033&CTT=5&Origin=HA010491931033> for assistance.

You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable </search/redir.aspx?AssetID=XT010709201033&CTT=5&Origin=HA010491931033>.

Of all the options suggested, I know the 1st, 2nd & 4th are not relevant, which leaves the 3rd option about missing MSP files in the \Windows\Installer folder.

I have tried the solution offered by Chris Schatte in his response to MissionaryMan's plea for help, but that has not worked. The Local Installation Source Tool (LISTOOL) doesn't seem to touch the files in the \Windows\Installer so even after running the LISTOOL I still get the same problem on the Windows Update site.

Any other suggestions at to how to solve this annoying problem would be most welcome. I am running Office 2003 Professional Edition on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Ask a Question