Home Use Program.

Upon installing, by inserting the CD into the drive or double-clicking on
Setup.exe, an error box immediately pops up with the title "Microsoft Visual
C++ Runtime Library" and the message in the dialog: "MSVCRT.DLL for Win32 /
Error: MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s."

I click "OK" and that is followed by another dialog with title "SETUP.EXE -
Application Error" and message: "The application failed to initialize
properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Does anybody know what this is about, and how to fix it?

Here is some system information:

Microsoft Windows 2000
Service Pack 4

AMD Athlon(tm) processor
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
523,760 KB RAM

C:\WINNT\system32\msvcrt.dll:
Size: 286,773 bytes
Size on disk: 290,816 bytes
Created: Thursday, August 14, 2003, 4:46:17 PM
Modified: Thursday, June 19, 2003, 3:05:04 PM
Product Version: 6.10.9844.0

I do not have Microsoft Visual Studio/C++ installed on this machine.

Thanks for any help,
John

P

Peter Foldes

Usually when you get MSVCRT.DLL error is because that file is not the right version for your OS. It was probably overwritten and changed by a software(Microsoft Works Suite 99, Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99 , Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99, Microsoft Graphics Studio Greetings 99 and maybe some others). You will need to extract the right version from your W2K installation disk and change the one you got in there at present.
Your version of MSVCRT.DLL should be 6.1.9844.0 if you are using Windows 2000

P

Peter Foldes

Usually when you get MSVCRT.DLL error is because that file is not the right version for your OS. It was probably overwritten and changed by a software(Microsoft Works Suite 99, Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99 , Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99, Microsoft Graphics Studio Greetings 99 and maybe some others). You will need to extract the right version from your W2K installation disk and change the one you got in there at present.

P

Peter Foldes

P

Peter Foldes

P

Peter Foldes

P

Peter Foldes

P

Peter Foldes

P

Peter Foldes

P

Peter Foldes

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

Mine is 77,878 bytes, and version 6.1.8637.0 and has always worked

I'm running Win2k SP4 with Rollup1 on AMD.

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

G

Gerry Hickman

Peter said:

J

jwcalla1

Thanks guys.

I copied the msvcrt.dll from my Win2k installation CD -- which was an older
version than what I had been running -- and I get the same error. Maybe I
need a version newer than 6.1.9844.0 to install Office 2003?

I'm confused as to what the problem is. Was the setup.exe on the Office
installation CD compiled with a different version of the library? If so, how
can I find out which version I need?

Thanks,
John

Ask a Question