Excel concatenate

E

Eric BERNIER

Hi!

I have been trying at this for a while and I am stumped.

I am trying to make a list that will pair letters from a range of letters on multiple levels.
Say for A,B,C,D the pairings should be AB,AC,AD,BC,BD,CD. Each letter is only used once.
Then I need to do the same thing with paired results where the letters of each pair must always be different.
In this example the only results should be AB-CD, AC-BD, AD-BC.
The next level would be pairing the previous level but requires a minimum of 8 start letters to yield any result.
This level should yield ABCD-EFGH, the next level should yield strings of 16 letters etc. Letters must only appear once within the same string.

Any idea?

P

Puppet_Sock

Hi!

I have been trying at this for a while and I am stumped.

I am trying to make a list that will pair letters from a range of letterson multiple levels.
Say for A,B,C,D the pairings should be AB,AC,AD,BC,BD,CD. Each letter is only used once.
Then I need to do the same thing with paired results where the letters ofeach pair must always be different.
In this example the only results should be AB-CD, AC-BD, AD-BC.
The next level would be pairing the previous level but requires a minimumof 8 start letters to yield any result.
This level should yield ABCD-EFGH, the next level should yield strings of16 letters etc. Letters must only appear once within the same string.

Any idea?

Getting the ability to do arbitrary numbers of starting characters
would be a bit tedious using only spreadsheet functions. If it was
just the 4, 8, and 16, you could hard-code it cell by cell. Putting it
into a single formula would be remarkably tedious. If the items could
be more than single characters then it gets significantly more
tedious.

It would be fairly straightforward in VB. Is that an acceptable
solution?
Socks

Ask a Question