Excel crashing randomly after most recent Office update

D

Draherin

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Hello!

I've recently encountered a problem with Excel (Office 2008) in which it will crash randomly. And by "randomly," I do mean totally random — cannot narrow down 1 or 2 things that trigger the crash. Of importance though, is that this has only been happening after installing the most recent software update from MS (within the last week).

I'm a graphic designer and I use Excel mostly for my project logs. I have two logs that I'm in and out of routinely, one of which I leave open nearly all day (with very frequent saves, of course) and the other I open when needed. I do use copy/paste quite frequently, but only within each file and usually on the same sheet. When Excel crashes, it has done so after routine file work:
• editing
• saving
• switching to other sheets within the file
• switching to and/or from other apps (using Spaces - 9 screens)

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. I've done some research and read about the conflict that Excel can have with Spaces where it will crash randomly, but I'm dismissing that as the post was from 2008 and I've had no problems whatever with any Office app until I installed the update. This morning I even reinstalled Excel but no change in behaviour — it still crashes. I had the thought of completely stripping all Office components from my system but really do not want to do that (major headache). I've also had the idea of uninstalling the last update, if that's even possible. What solutions can you suggest for me?

Thanks!
indy

My system specs:
G5 PowerPC - Dual 2GHz
4GB SDRAM
OSX 10.5.8

X

XinXin

In Indy, the first thing I'd suggest is to troubleshoot your MacOffice 2008 by following this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979949.

If the crash persists, can you send me ([email protected]) a crash log? When crashes happens, click "more information" button, and the crash log shows in that window.

It will also help my investigation if you can send me your workbooks and detailed repro steps.

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

D

Draherin

I've emailed the crash report and attachments of the working files to your email address. Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question