Excel Issue with "Average" showing in Status Bar

N

natalie.ollinger

I have a large file of data, and there are some columns that do not displaythe average in the status bar, it only shows the count. I right clicked to make sure average is selected, and it is. The columns are all formatted the same way (general), so I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'm having this issue. If I type in the numbers in a separate column it allows me to see the average, but if I copy and paste special- values, it won't work. Anyone had this issue and know why it's not showing in random cells, even though they appear to be exactly the same (formatting, etc.)?

C

Claus Busch

Hi Natalie,

Am Thu, 17 Apr 2014 05:57:34 -0700 (PDT) schrieb
(e-mail address removed):
I have a large file of data, and there are some columns that do not display the average in the status bar, it only shows the count. I right clicked to make sure average is selected, and it is. The columns are all formatted the same way (general), so I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'm having this issue. If I type in the numbers in a separate column it allows me to see the average, but if I copy and paste special- values, it won't work. Anyone had this issue and know why it's not showing in random cells, even though they appear to be exactly the same (formatting, etc.)?

sometimes formatting of text formated cells back to "General" fails.
Select your data and format as "General" and then choose Data =>
TextToColumns => Fixed Width => Finish

Regards
Claus B.

G

Gord Dibben

Your "numbers" are text.

Format an empty cell as General.

Select and copy that cell.

Select your data cells and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc

The Average function should now proper results.

Gord

Ask a Question