Excel spreadsheet used on OSX (2008) andWindows (any version) with macros doesn't work.

O

ojak2

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

WTF? No Visual Basic on Office 2008? How are we supposed to share spreadsheets in a mixed environment of Macs and PCs without writing macros twice for each platform?

I mean come'on, Adobe doesn't use different scripting languages on PC and OSX products (because that would be completely lame).

I like both platforms and I'm sincerely bummed that Microsoft has reached such a massive size that it can no longer control quality. Sad, cause Excel was a really good product.

Anyhow, on the off chance that there's some solution out there, I thought I'd post this?

C

CyberTaz

Sorry if it caught you by surprise, but the exclusion of VBA support from
Mac Office 2008 was publicly announced by MS in press releases several
months before the product was scheduled to ship. It has also been announced
that VBA will return in the next release.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

C

CyberTaz

Well, it's not the *only* solution but it may be the preferable one
depending on a number of variables. The most obvious alternative is to run
Windows/PC Office on an Intel Mac using Boot Camp or one of the VM apps such
as Parallels or VMware Fusion.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

P

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

Yep!

or hold your nose ans squint your eyes to prevent serous damage to your
Physic (?) borrow a PC and use Office 2007 for windows.

O

ojak2

Hmm. Doesn't that mean I need: (1) a copy of windows, (2) a copy of office for windows, and (3) a copy of parallels/vm? That's a few hundred dollars worth of additional software per user, which amounts to "use a PC".

Bob, I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure that'll work for me (or any other cost-conscious business), not to mention the additional memory overhead. Unfortunately, uninstalling 2008 and going back to 2004 seems the only realistic solution. We moved from 2004 to 2008 mainly due to the non-universal code performance issues in 2004, and now we get bit by the feature mods of 2008. Tough year I guess...

Thanks though. BTW, do you know when the next version of Office comes out?

Ask a Question