Excel suddenly crippled by Just-In-Time Debugging

Reaction score
I suddenly am stopped every time I try to enter data in an Excel worksheet. Even a new, empty one won't allow me to put a single number into it, giving me the "Visual Studio Just-In-Time- Debugger" message (attached). I've been using Excel for years, and use Acrobat to make printouts and booklets. In pursuing the problem, I followed a lead that led me to the Acrobat PDF Maker Office COM Addin and, having misunderstood what I had read in a problem link, I deleted it. I finally reinstalled it with a bit of torture. Still can't feed numbers to Excel. I tried uninstalling Visual Studio 2017 which I had installed late last year experimentally. Tried to uninstall Acrobat 11, wasn't allowed to, so I reinstalled over it. Uninstalled Office, reinstalled it. Still can't feed numbers to Excel. My laptop is still on speaking terms with Excel, and I can get most of my work done there, but there is obviously something wrong with this desktop. My questions are: (a) what other programs are there that insist on having JIT warnings, (b) how can I turn off JIT warnings, or (c) where is there a fix for this sort of problem? Also, what are other JIT debuggers which could be enabled?

Attachments

• JustInTime Err Msg.jpg
    JustInTime Err Msg.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 673
Reaction score
The problem was caused by having conflicting versions of the add-in "Acrobat PDFMaker .... Addin". I don't know how the original problem started (Acrobat icon mysteriously missing from Excel worksheets), but in the excruciating process of solving that problem, apparently I turned on both the "Excel" and "Office" Addins and they didn't get along very well. When this was identified, the solution was to "uncheck"/remove both of them, close the worksheet, and reopen. Then turn back on the "Acrobat PDF Maker Office Com Addin". Excel and Acrobat then both worked in perfect harmony. The Addin was accessed via "File > Options > Addins" and then the "Manage" drop-down list allows you to select the correct version, which is COM Addins for users with Office 365. I hope this helps someone down the line....:)

Reaction score
Glad to hear you managed to resolve the issue, and thanks for letting us know! Like you say, hopefully this may help others :)

Ask a Question