Failure to Launch

F

fresianfilly

Version: v.X
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Processor: Power PC

Please bare with me. I'm a fairly basic, lifetime loyal mac user that knows my way around the computer but isn't super techy savy.

Upon saving a document in word and excel (don't know in other aps cause haven't used them in a while), I've been receiving errors that the server was not available. I've been doing Save As to get around this and rebooting and problem avoided for awhile. Went to Save As and was told Memory Failure so I quit ap without saving and lost last few minutes of data. No biggie. Rebooted like I've been doing. Now getting a Failure to Launch code because of a "Shared Library Error" when trying to launch an Office Ap. What do I do to gain access to my files again?

C

CyberTaz

It sounds like a permissions issue...

Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated (10.1.9 for Office & 10.3.9 for
Panther), then run the Panther utility to Repair Disk Permissions & restart.

If the problem continues, log in as a different User to help narrow down the
possibilities. Post back with your results.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

D

Diane Ross

Version: v.X
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Often when someone is running older software, their hard drives are bursting
at the seams. Open the Activity Monitor in Utilities and see how much free
disk space you have left. If should be a minimum of 10%. If not, your
computer is going to be very slooow.

The "not enough memory" error message has been known to occur when the issue
has nothing whatsoever to do with memory.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/not_enough_memory.html>

F

fresianfilly

Well, bad news for me. The problem progressed beyond Office aps not opening-Quicken, Calculator, my film scanning ap, etc (only my inet browsers seem to not be affected). After getting on the Apple forums, I've come to terms with what I've been preparing for for a loooong time - my hard drive is failing. The poor thing IS more than SIX years old and has served me well through my lengthy college career. We put our tax money in the bank to earn interest hoping to wait until the Apple summer deal to get a free iPod when we purchased a new MacBook, but no such luck! Oh well, at least we had the cash on hand. And after years of being behind the times, I'm excited to get into a current OS. I purchased Office 08 as well! Yey! Thanks for your help!

D

Diane Ross

I'm excited to get into a current OS. I purchased Office 08 as well! Yey!
Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on the new computer! Be sure to read over the Dos and Don'ts
for a good install. We want you to start out with a good experience with
Office 2008.

<http://tinyurl.com/6cmyyc>

Ask a Question