"Fields Nested Too Deeply" Error in Simple Word Document

Reaction score
I keep getting the message: "Fields Nested Too Deeply" in a simple (though large) Word document. I have not created any macros or done anything in this document other than straight up writing and editing. I also seem to get very long periods of "beachball" where I can do nothing but wait --sometimes quite a while-- to resume working on the doc at all. I don't know if these are related, and the "beachball" problem preceded the "Fields Nested Too Deep" by a few weeks but they're both constant now.
I am working on a 2018 MacBook Air.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your description suggests the document has acquired some of corruption. Corrupt documents can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it.

Reaction score
Your description suggests the document has acquired some of corruption. Corrupt documents can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it.
It worked!!! Thank you so much, very appreciated!

Ray

Reaction score
I keep getting the message: "Fields Nested Too Deeply" in a simple (though large) Word document. I have not created any macros or done anything in this document other than straight up writing and editing. I also seem to get very long periods of "beachball" where I can do nothing but wait --sometimes quite a while-- to resume working on the doc at all. I don't know if these are related, and the "beachball" problem preceded the "Fields Nested Too Deep" by a few weeks but they're both constant now.
I am working on a 2018 MacBook Air.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I kept getting this Word error for files that were saved in Compatibility Mode. I solved the problem by saving all my documents as .docx files and clicking twice (first ON, then OFF) on the box “Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word”. A warning comes up: “You are about to save your document to one of the Open XML formats. This action will allow you to use all the new features in Word, but may cause changes in the layout of the document. Click OK to continue, or Cancel to select a different file format.”
This can be a rather drastic solution if you’re sharing Word files with people with older computers that can’t access the latest software, but if they’re not involved in editing your work, you can always save Word documents as PDF files and send those.

Ask a Question