FileName

Reaction score
Word 2016. The Quickpart Filename does not insert the document extension-just the portion before the period. How can I get it to include the extension?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Has the document been saved? Unless it's been saved, it doesn't have an extension.

Reaction score
Yes, the document has been saved. It still does not include the extension in the filename

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If the field was added before the document was saved, it won't show the extension until the field is refreshed; otherwise I can't see why the extension wouldn't show up.

Reaction score
I actually have the field in the footer of my normal template so the filename appears on every document I create. So the field is there when I create a new document.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes, but when you create a new document, the name is something like 'Document1', with no extension. The document won't have a filename extension until it's saved; only then will refreshing the FILENAME field show the extension.

Ask a Question