Files not opening

S

sebcentner

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I'm running Office 2008 on my MacBookPro running OS 10.5.3. Some, but not all .xls files created in Office X fail to open. These are simple spreadsheets no different than many that do open. A dialog box flashes much to quickly to read, the document does not appear and does not show in the window menu. No slashes in the titles or sheet names.

S

sebcentner

I solved the problem by re-installing Office 2008 (12.0.0) so clearly this problem is related to the 12.1.1 update.

Please advise on solution if anyone knows. In the meantime i will stay at 12.0.0 and not update.

Thx

P

Pat McMillan

Would it be possible for anyone having this problem to send me an example of
a file that no longer opens after the 12.1.1 update? We've fixed hundreds of
issues in Excel since 12.0.0 and I hate to see people miss out on those
improvements. If we can investigate some files with this problem we might be
able to provide a workaround and if there's a bug we can investigate a fix.

Thanks,

Pat McMillan
(e-mail address removed)

N

Nedward

Hi Pat:

So I uninstalled Office 2008, reinstalled from the original disk (12.0) and it open the files OK.

I then updated to 12.1.0 and the files would NOT open. So I did not proceed with the 12.1.1 update, and am restoring back to 12.0.

I hope you find the problem soon!

Thanks, Ned

Ned Alpert
Senior Account Executive
Oasis Sales and Marketing
144 Weeks Way
Sebastopol, CA 95409
p. 707.824.0119
f. 707.824.0122
(e-mail address removed)

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 24, 2008 8:37:20 AM PDT
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: <http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Excel/2315>

Hi Pat:

My similar problem just started, but I have had the 12.1.1 update for several weeks and even worked on these files since, with no problem -- then, bam!

Thanks for your help!

Ned Alpert
Senior Account Executive
Oasis Sales and Marketing
144 Weeks Way
Sebastopol, CA 95409
p. 707.824.0119
f. 707.824.0122
(e-mail address removed)

C

Clark Willey

I am having problems with Excel files that have Pivot Tables. The error is "unable to read the file"
I have tried to load patch 1211 and get an error that there is no version of the Software required to install this udate was found on this volume
ARGH
Before I recreate this file >>any suggestions?

N

Nedward

Well, I sent my bad files home to my PC with Vista and Office 2007.

There was an error message upon trying to open due to "invalid content", and an offer to repair. This was supposedly due to an illegal sheet name; repair was made, I re-saved, and they now work fine on my work Mac.

FYI, I rarely name a sheet on a single-tab spreadsheet, and if so, it's alpha-numeric and no nasty characters or punctuation.

Regards, Ned

Ask a Question