Footnote references on one page, footnote text on the next

Reaction score
I am having a bizarre problem. Footnotes in my document are created on one page, but the entire text of the note appears on the next. For instance, I have inserted Footnotes 17 and 18 on page 12 of the document. Footnote 17 appears on page 12, but Footnote 18 appears on page 13. I have never had this occur before, but it is occurring in more than one place throughout the 40-page document.

Pleat note this is NOT a situation in which the text of a footnote is split across two pages. In fact, the footnote text is very short (less than one line), so there is no issue with footnotes needing to continue on the next page. There is no spacing issues that would prevent both footnotes from appearing on the same page.

How do I get the footnote text to begin on the same page in which the footnote number appears in the body text?

Thanks for your help.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Clearly, there is insufficient room for footnote 18 to appear on the same page as its reference. That may be because the footnote paragraph is formatted to keep its lines together and it won't all fit on the same page as its reference.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, but I don't think that's the case. I removed all text from the problem footnotes (which, as noted in my original post, were less than one line long, and the footnote still will not appear on the page as its reference. The footnote paragraph not has no text (just a number appears) and it is not formatted to keep any lines together.

While I can't share the text of this confidential document, I can share the attached, redacted screenshot so you can see what's happening with the footnotes.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It's impossible to tell from your PDF - which is nothing more than an image of some redacted content from the document - what's going on in the document itself that might affect the footnote positioning.

Reaction score
What is going on in my document should never be possible. There is never a circumstance where a person wants a footnote reference on one page and footnote text on another.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, since it's quite possible to format a document in such a way as to produce the result you're seeing, one might reasonably assume it's your formatting that's the problem. There are limits to what Word can do to resolve conflicts between document structure and formatting.

Ask a Question