Formatting data from excel sheet

Reaction score
Hello all,

More of a query if anything but wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction.

I am putting a price list together for work, which has the variable of discounted prices dependent on customer. All this is done in Excel, but wanted to know the best way to merge into a layout/format for Word so it could be presented a little better than the look of cells across the page.

Would this be possible to do in Word or could i setup a template in Word to import the relevant cells?

Regards
Rob

Reaction score
Okay so my understanding of this is that you still want a table in a Word document, just you want it to look better? Two options I can think of:

1. Insert Excel spreadsheet It would end up looking like this:

ExcelinWord.PNG

With this, you get all the functionality of an Excel spreadsheet, and all the prettiness of a table in Word :) This is good if you want to be able to update this spreadsheet in the Word doc later. After you Insert > Table > Excel Spreadsheet (which will insert a blank spreadsheet), you can copy/paste your content from excel into this table.

2. Copy/Paste content

Or you could literally highlight the applicable columns and paste them into Word. That will automatically put them in a table. It'll look exactly the same, the only difference is the conditional formatting doesn't stay with it. So if you've got a formula, or a special cell set up for currency or percent, it doesn't stay. So while it may look like $ 12.00 right now, when you go to change the cell, it's nothing more than dollar sign space space space space number number period number number.

It's really just a question of whether or not you want to be updating this information in the Word doc. If not, super easy, just copy/paste. And then you can edit the table to make it pretty, put in some borders, shading, change the font, whatever :)

Hope this helped!

Ask a Question