Frontpage folder missing

B

Biagio I

I have a few different websites on the same godaddy server space. I use a deluxe hosting account, which enables me to use the same web space but create multiple directories and then direct different domain names to each directory so that that act as stand alone sites. I have a few of these and have set them up exactly the same way using Frontpage- i build the site, have a folder where all the html pages are kept, and then simply buy a domain for the site and point it to that sites main folder using godaddy's domain manager. The problem i am having is that with my most recent website, as soon as I point the domain to the directory on the server, that directory folder disappears in frontpage. this happens ONLY in frontpage and only for this one site. i am setting everything up just the same as all of my other sites, which work perfectly. the folder and content still exist; you can visit the website, and even see the folder and files if i log in with a different FTP client. I have NO idea what the problem is. I have tried using different folder names, re-installing FP extensions, and calling godaddy. they are no help, and say that since everything looks fine from their end, they cant help and it must be a frontpage problem. i have already checked the show all hidden files in FP. if i click view all files from frontpage, the pages do not show up, BUT if (within frontpage) i go to file, open, and manually type in the full address of each individual page from the site, it will open in frontpage and i can edit it as normal. i just cant see the folder or files anywhere. PLEASE help, as this has been very frustrating.

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Handbook for Reluctant Database Administrators
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...4-10631385f3a2/handbook-for-reluctant-da.aspx

R

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

are you saying that you are using a third party ftp client to access
frontpage extended webs?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP Expression Web

in message news:[email protected]...

R

Ronx

GoDaddys response to your problem is typical of GoDaddy - it's ALWAYS the
fault of FrontPage until you prove otherwise.

Download FrontPage Cleaner from http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/fpclean.htm
and run the routines that delete the hidden web cache folders, and delete
the hidden temporary files. That may help.
If it doesn't, insist that GoDaddy run a server health check on your site -
this may mean every site you are hosting or just the root site, depending on
how the extensions and each domain is set up - is each domain a subweb of
the root site, or a separate web site on it's own?
Note that a Server Health Check is not the same as reinstalling the
extensions - it goes a little deeper.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.

B

Biagio I

Ronx,

I have a deluxe hosting package on godaddy, so each site is standalone, not
a subweb. I tried the utility program you suggested, but it did not work. I
am really frustrated with this- i set this name up exactly the same as my
other sites, which all work fine. I also just tried the following (which
didnt work)- I created a new folder in frontpage, put the website content
indside of it. I was able to view the folder and contents just fine. Then,
from godaddy domain management control panel, as soon as i assign the domain
name to that folder, once frontpage is refreshed, the folder disappears from
my folder list. It still exists, and I can edit the pages by typing in the
entire address of each individual page by going to file, open in frontpage,
but frontpage is simply not showing the folder or webpages in ANY view i use.
i even tried the all files view, and they dont show up. any more
suggestions?? thanks again...

R

Ronx

I don't host with Godaddy (and never will), so have no idea what the
features are in a "deluxe hosting package".
If each site is a standalone site, then you cannot see the site in FrontPage
unless either:
1) it is a folder in a "root" site containing all the folders in your
hosting package
or
2) there is a temporary domain name assigned to the folder which is opened
in FrontPage.

In the case of 1) the site is either a folder or a subweb of the root site,
and I have no idea how assigning a domain name can make it disappear.

In the case of 2) the temporary domain name will be replaced by the new
domain name, and the FrontPage extensions will fail to work, since they are
assigned to the temporary domain. The extensions will have to be
reinstalled under the new domain name.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.

J

joe smith

I too, have the same deluxe hosting account as you, and have recently encountered the exact same problem. The directory that I set up for a new site is active and can be found in the file manager or ftp on godaddy, but it does not show up in the toggle pane in front page. If you find a fix, please let me know, and I will do the same for you. I am thinking that it has to be something new with godaddy, because it has never happened before.
I have a few different websites on the same godaddy server space. I use a deluxe hosting account, which enables me to use the same web space but create multiple directories and then direct different domain names to each directory so that that act as stand alone sites. I have a few of these and have set them up exactly the same way using Frontpage- i build the site, have a folder where all the html pages are kept, and then simply buy a domain for the site and point it to that sites main folder using godaddy's domain manager. The problem i am having is that with my most recent website, as soon as I point the domain to the directory on the server, that directory folder disappears in frontpage. this happens ONLY in frontpage and only for this one site. i am setting everything up just the same as all of my other sites, which work perfectly. the folder and content still exist; you can visit the website, and even see the folder and files if i log in with a different FTP client. I have NO idea what the problem is. I have tried using different folder names, re-installing FP extensions, and calling godaddy. they are no help, and say that since everything looks fine from their end, they cant help and it must be a frontpage problem. i have already checked the show all hidden files in FP. if i click view all files from frontpage, the pages do not show up, BUT if (within frontpage) i go to file, open, and manually type in the full address of each individual page from the site, it will open in frontpage and i can edit it as normal. i just cant see the folder or files anywhere. PLEASE help, as this has been very frustrating.
On Sunday, November 01, 2009 12:33 AM Rob Giordano [MS MVP] wrote:
are you saying that you are using a third party ftp client to access
frontpage extended webs?

C

Cheng Heng

If you have any problems then please post a new message and stop
hijacking somebody's one year old message. You won't get any
assistance if you do it that way. Hot-Text doesn't like reading
old messages.

hth

joe smith wrote:

<snipped>