Function in Excel to count and list number of entries of text valuesin a row.

J

JRC

Hello, everyone.

I have been trying to find a function in Excel but haven't had any luck. Myspreadsheet has many different but recurring entires in a row that I need to count. They are text entries and do appear many times over the entire length of my spreadsheet. Let me make this clearer. One of the rows lists countries. There are multiple countries listed but since this is a long spreadsheet I don't know how many exactly are listed and how many times each of them appears.

I wish to find a function that can do the following:

1. List each country that appears on this row and, if possible, list them in descending order from the one that appears the greatest number of times to the one that appears the least.

2. List next to them how many times each country is listed on this row.

Is there a function that can do this in Excel ?

In case the information is relevant I am running both Excel 2008 and Excel 2011 for Mac (both part of the Office for Mac package).

Thank you in advance,

Joe.

D

Don Guillett

Hello, everyone.

I have been trying to find a function in Excel but haven't had any luck. My spreadsheet has many different but recurring entires in a row that I need to count. They are text entries and do appear many times over the entire length of my spreadsheet. Let me make this clearer. One of the rows lists countries. There are multiple countries listed but since this is a long spreadsheet I don't know how many exactly are listed and how many times each ofthem appears.

I wish to find a function that can do the following:

1. List each country that appears on this row and, if possible, list themin descending order from the one that appears the greatest number of timesto the one that appears the least.

2. List next to them how many times each country is listed on this row.

Is there a function that can do this in Excel ?

In case the information is relevant I am running both Excel 2008 and Excel 2011 for Mac (both part of the Office for Mac package).

Thank you in advance,

Joe.

You should always post a before/after example. Do we have a fixed number ofcountries such as US,Mexico,Canada and only so many or do we NOT know whatcountries we may have???

Is this what you mean?
bcdaaab should be aaa(3),bb(2),c(1),d(1)

G

Gord Dibben

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:47:03 -0800 (PST), Don Guillett

Hi Don

New Horms motto.

"Forget the Alamo"

Still kickin' around<g>

Gord

Ask a Question