Getting the graph style I want

Reaction score
In Home & Student 2010, I just switched an Excel graph of 2016 daily data to weekly averages. It's a line graph with markers, but right now there is no line just relatively large square markers. I have some questions:

- How do I get a line?

- How do I change the size and shape of the markers to something like small dots?

- The vertical axis right now is 0 to 250, but all the data (will) fall within a limited range, say, 150-200, so the graph is currently visually compressing the data. How do I change the the graph vertical axis to reflect a more limited range?

Thanks,

Reaction score
To get a line right click on one of the dots and select change chart type. (Or, you could click on the graph and click on the design tab of the new chart tools menu that appears at the top.) When the chart type menu opens click on line on the left portion, then select the picture that looks like the chart you want, probably the fourth one over.

To change the size and shape of the marker right click on one of the dots or the line and select format data series. Then select marker options from the left side. Your editing options will appear on the right side. Use the dropdown next to type to change the shape. Select marker fill on the left to edit the color. Notice you can also change the color of the line if you select marker line color.

To change the axis range double click on the axis. Under axis options you can choose the min and max as well as how many units appear.

Amy

Reaction score
Amy, Thanks for your quick reply. The latter two of your suggestions worked just great. The problem is with the first: as indicated in my OP and screenshots, the chart type I have chosen is line with markers, the fourth one across from the left, but as you can see from the screenshots, there's no line. What am I missing?

Excel graph 1.JPG Excel graph 2.JPG

Reaction score
Hm, that's strange. Can you confirm the color isn't set to white?
Also, if you click to a bar graph and then click back to the line - does it fix it?

Ask a Question