Global Template Network and saving auto texts & macros

Reaction score
I created a Global template and saved auto texts and a couple macros and they do save as expected, to the global template itself and I am free to create new Word 2010 documents and use the auto texts and macros so long as I have the template active or through the toolbar by way of the Developer tab and then to the Add-On tab where I will find my template and tick the X in the box for it.

Now I would like to describe this scenario of how this procedure used to function on our (Citrix-based) network before a recent upgrade to it.
I could create new or open existing Word 2010 documents from the network and ‘on the fly’ create new auto text(s) or macro(s) and those macros and auto texts would be applied to the global template and saved without issue. And that, again, was while working in Word documents not actually "in" the global template.
Ok now or from the perspective of what might be from the upgraded network recently, I'm not able to perform that procedure in the same way as I just described, whereby recording macros and creating auto texts can only be done "in" the global template itself-not in documents whether newly created or already existing on the network and find them easily when closing out and reopening Word unless, of course, I created macros and auto texts via the global template. Oh yes, they will record fine in any Word document i open and use but that's just as long as that document is open, and of course, once closed or saved, they are stripped from document as far as Word's program, etc..

So if my question is with clarity and I present it satisfactorily, I would like to ask if this is normal Word procedure in this regard or is there other methods that can be applied that would enable my using the global template as I used to before, by just simply recording new auto texts in any Word document that would still be captured and saved to the global template (so long as I made it active or available)?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The only reason for macros being stripped from a newly-created Word document (or one saved via Save As) is if you're saving it in the docx format.

Reaction score
I understand macropod about not expecting that the macs and auto texts would be saved on docx. Thanks for your input.
I found just now that the boiler plate (global) template I created is now saving the auto texts and macros in Word 2010 the way I used to work where documents are stored on our network which is Citrix-based and for whatever reason during an upgrade I believed there was something where it maybe prevented new macros or auto texts to be added to my global template that I re-created because it had wiped clean the other global template I had. The only way I could save auto texts and macros to the new global template was directly into it. Or open it like you would any word document and type and save, etc...
And then today I have found that by ticking or checking the Global Template in the appropriate field where our templates are lined up under the Developer tab, that I can now proceed and record new macs & auto text entries into any documents that I open or newly create and the saved entries will appear while recording new ones, as well. And then opening another document that so long as the global template's ticked or x'd the entries I made and macros will work (as before) and the issue that I may have gone on about a mile long, probably looked confusing by my describing but to the bottom line finally, looks good or all's well that's working well. :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question