Headers, Footers and Letterheads, oh my!

R

RonRoss

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I am struggling with putting a letterhead on the first page of my document and having a smaller header margin on all other pages.

I understand the concept of a different first page but cannot seem to get this to function properly and here is why.

I created a new blank doc. After creating a 2.5" top header, I inserted our company letterhead (in jpeg format) into the header of the first page. I checked the box to allow text around it since I couldn't drag the jpeg to the center of the page without allowing text to wrap. Once I was able to do that I then checked different first page. That set me up for changing the other pages. This is where things get ugly. I cannot have a another header size on the second, third, etc. pages without it changing the margin size on the first page. The good news is that the letterhead jpeg does not move to the second, third, etc pages, but I am baffled as to why I cannot have different size headers on those pages. Word seems to want to keep the margins equal throughout the entire document. 2.5" is taking up a lot of real estate and I hate to waste it.

Suggestions?

A

ahostmadsen

I am struggling with putting a letterhead on the first page of my document and having a smaller header margin on all other pages.
I understand the concept of a different first page but cannot seem to get this to function properly and here is why.

I created a new blank doc. After creating a 2.5" top header, I inserted our company letterhead (in jpeg format) into the header of the first page. I checked the box to allow text around it since I couldn't drag the jpeg to the center of the page without allowing text to wrap. Once I was able to do that I then checked different first page. That set me up for changing the other pages. This is where things get ugly. I cannot have a another header size on the second, third, etc. pages without it changing the margin size on the first page. The good news is that the letterhead jpeg does not move to the second, third, etc pages, but I am baffled as to why I cannot have different size headers on those pages. Word seems to want to keep the margins equal throughout the entire document. 2.5" is taking up a lot of real estate and I hate to waste it.

Suggestions?

What about inserting a section break after the first page, and then use different headers/footers in the following section? You can set different margins for different sections.

C

CyberTaz

The reply pertaining to the use of either a Next Page or Continuous Section
Break is the approach to take. The Different First Page option pertains to
Header/Footer *content* only. What you're attempting to do is a *layout*
change which requires that the document be segmented into Sections. However,
the section break "should" be inserted at the end of the last paragraph on
the first page. If the break is inserted in the midst of a paragraph it
might not work as you want it to.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac