Heading Styles Problem

Reaction score
I am using Word 2013
I am having a problem with my Heading Styles. Please refer to the attached file.
The Heading 4 style is not being numbered correctly. It is starting at 1.1.1.1 no matter where I have the 1st one.
See the attached doc. but this is what is being displayed
1.1.1.1 should be 2.1.2.1
1.1.1.2 should be 2.1.2.2

What am I doing wrong? I can't see anything to fix when I go to "Modify Heading 4"
Someone please help, this is driving me crazy!

Thanks!
John W.

Attachments

• Test.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
I am using Word 2013
I am having a problem with my Heading Styles. Please refer to the attached file.
The Heading 4 style is not being numbered correctly. It is starting at 1.1.1.1 no matter where I have the 1st one.

What am I doing wrong? I can't see anything to fix when I go to "Modify Heading 4"

Thanks!
John W.
Hi i had exactly the same with the numbering jumping all.over!!! Try resetting the number in the multilevel list - or put ur cursor in the problem line and right click - reset number there

Reaction score
I am using Word 2013

Thanks!
John W.
Dont try to modify the heading as such - for non headings right click and reset numbering - for heading drip down ur multi lever list button - and reset the numbering there - but make sure ur number level is in yhe correct position - the number on the extreme right rezets - so work from the left - geez difficult to explain here but i battled for ages and eventually it clicked and i got it right.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Resurrecting a topic from nearly 2 years ago isn't especially helpful; I doubt it's still a burning issue. Besides which, the required approach is to use Word's multi-level list numbering tools to ensure each list level's numbering: picks up all relevant numbers from previous levels in the hierarchy; restarts after the immediately preceding number restarts; and is associated with the correct heading Style. The OP's problem was that the 4th level was not associated with the Heading 4 Style. In the OP's case, the creation of the desired multi-level list numbering scheme is best done from a paragraph using the Heading 1 Style.

Reaction score
Resurrecting a topic from nearly 2 years ago isn't especially helpful; I doubt it's still a burning issue. Besides which, the required approach is to use Word's multi-level list numbering tools to ensure each list level's numbering: picks up all relevant numbers from previous levels in the hierarchy; restarts after the immediately preceding number restarts; and is associated with the correct heading Style. The OP's problem was that the 4th level was not associated with the Heading 4 Style. In the OP's case, the creation of the desired multi-level list numbering scheme is best done from a paragraph using the Heading 1 Style.
Tx! Didnt note the older date but im sure the basic concept still applies. I had tremendous problems too i found that when i changed the numbering in the multi level list box it screwed up the numbers above sometimes - with much fiddling i managed to get it right - but i am also aware that one is doing something wrong if u need to wadte so much time fiddling - in older versions of word i created my own styles which i assigned to keyboard shortcuts - and never had a problem. Whole new learning curve in word 2013!

Reaction score
Re the date - it was word 2013 that was being referred to - and apologies i have just joined this forum.

Ask a Question