HELP for calculating gestational age based on date

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in desperate need of some help. I am a beginner at MS Access and have manged to put together a database to track some pregnant patients.

In it, I have a field for estimated gestational age of the pregnancy. I have been searching everywhere on the net and have been hitting a brick wall. Can you help?

I need a field that will calculate estimated gestational age of the pregnancy (displayed in weeks and days) based on today's date. A pregnancy is 280 days or 40 weeks total.

For example: Based on the intake date of 11/7/11, a mom's due date of 2/15/12 is now 25w5d.

I have a fields labeled intake date, EDD, and EGA

Can you help? How could I program the field to calculate the EGA in MS ACCESS?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Reaction score
I would only store the intake date. The other fields can be calculate and should not be stored. This will help improve the database's accuracy.

I might consider a field for pregnancy length in days. This would default to 280.

Access has some great built in functions for working with date data.

Example:

Code:
EDD = DateAdd( "d", 280, [IntakeDate])

Code:
EGAdays = DateDiff("d",  DateAdd( "d", 280, [IntakeDate]), Date())

Once you have the EGADays you can convert it from days to weeks and days using:

Code:
EGAWeeks =[EGAdays] \ 7 & " weeks " & [EGAdays] MOD 7 & " days"

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

If I am reading your formulas correctly, it looks like you are calculating the estimated due date based on the Intake date, which isn't correct.

The intake date is the date of the request.

The estimated due date (EDD) is the date the baby is due (which is equivalent to 40 weeks or 280 days from the mom's last menstrual period (LMP, a date which I am not given).

I need to calculate the Estimated Gestational Age (EGA) based upon the difference between the the EDD and intake date.

OR calculate backwards to calculate forward by:

creating a field with a formula that calculates the LMP by subtracting 280 days from the EDD then finding the EGA (in weeks and days) by subtracting the intake date from the LMP.

For example: If the intake date is 4/20/12 and the EDD is 4/22/12 the EGA would be 39w5d

Any further assistance you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!!

Ask a Question