Help: problem accessing SSL SMTP server in Outlook

F

fly2moon2

Hi All,

I've a problem accessing our SMTP server which uses SSL on Outlook BUT NO problem on Outlook Express using the same configuration settings.

SMTP server name & port has been confirmed correctly set. In essence, the configurations work in Outlook Express and we follow exact the settings on Outlook but then it fails. On Outlook, it can't even pass the "Test Account" function for sending out (it set it couldn't connect to the SMTP server and asked us to ensure the settings were right, which we had already investigated many times)

I suspected it is a problem of firewall (we uses Symantec Client Security). But then I ruled out this possibility soon as I've tested with firewall disabled. Besides, Outlook Express works fine meaning that the ports should have gone through.

The strange thing is: there is one PC in our office which doesn't have the above problems and runs fine on Outlook. I can't tell what's so different about that particular PC. We need to make use of Outlook on the rest of the PCs but sadly having this teasing problem.

If someone can guide me to look into possible options/settings to mitigate this, I would be very grateful.

My testing configurations: Outlook XP/Outlook Express 6, Windows XP

F

fly2moon2

Hi,

Just to suffice here that the SMTP SSL port is 465 while POP3 995.
Any security/configuration settings I should look further to troubleshoot this problem?

thanks once more.

Ask a Question