How can I edit the default column autofill formula?

D

D Duffy

In a named Excel table in 2010-2013 the autofill utility wants to repeat a formula in a column when a new records is added. Perfect.

I can of course overwrite the "default" formula in each record with a valueor a different formula as needed. Excel is maintaining this "default" value somewhere in its code. I beleive it is originally based on the value in the first data record row2 when the table is defined with INSERT/TABLE.

However, I want to edit the default formula without having it copy into allthe previous records and destroying some manual entries.
See example:
Row Val1 Val2 Val3 ValTtl
2 9 1 =[Val1]+[Val2]
3 7 8 =[Val1]+[Val2]
4 8 8
5 8 4 =[Val1]+[Val2]+[Val3]
6 =[Val1]+[Val2]

I edited row5 column ValTtl to include column Val3 and I want subsequent added records to use the new formula "=[Val1]+[Val2]+[Val3]" as the DEFAULTcolumn value. Later I may manually edit or change that value again and may or may not want to edit the DEFAULT column autofill formula.

But, when I added a new row6 the "DEFAULT" formula likely originally derived from row2 was added by autofill. Instead I want to edit the "DEFAULT" value "=[Val1]+[Val2]" that autofill uses to match the row 5 entry which is=[Val1]+[Val2]+[Val3].
Yes I know that I can fill the column with the new formula but that wipes out the manual value "8" in row4. This simple table displays the issue but the actual table contains 1000s of records.

Thanks for you help and suggestions, DDuffy

Ask a Question