How to calculate overtime cost?

W

Weerayuth S.

Dear community,

Does anyone know how to use Project Server to calculate overtime cost?

For example, if a resource hour rate is $100/hr.
For normal working day after 18:30 the OT rate is 1.5 x normal hour rate =
$150/hr.
For Sat and Sun office hour the overtime rate is 1.0 x normal hour rate =
$100/hr.
For special holiday and after office hour of Sat/Sun the OT rate is 3.0 x
normal hout rate = $300/hr.

How can we use Project server to help us calculate multiple OT rates?

If anyone know, please suggest or share.

Thank you.

Weerayuth S.

L

Lalit Jain

Im reading MS Project Inside out and I cud find this information for you in chapter 8.

I have not used this feature. But this information wuill surely help you out.

Go to res sheet
Open Res Information Dialog box
Click on Cost

Under A(Default Tab) you can enter Std rate and Overtime rate.

To specify a change in rate after a certain period of time, click in the next blank Effective Date field and enter the date the change is to take effect. Enter the cost changes as applicable in the Standard Rate, Overtime Rate, and Per Use Cost fields

To specify different costs based on different types of activities, enter the different costs in a different tab, such as B or C.

Click the B tab, for example, and enter the standard rate, overtime rate, and peruse cost for the other activity as applicable. When you assign this resource to a task that uses the different rates, you can specify them with the assignment.

If a percentage rate change goes into effect on a certain date, you can have Microsoft Project calculate the new rate for you. Enter the date in the Effective Date field. Then, in the Standard Rate, Overtime Rate, or Per Use Cost fields, enter the percentage change, for example, +10% or -15%. The actual rate representing that change is immediately calculated and entered in the field.

Cost Rate Table A for resources is applied to the resource's assignments by default and is what shows on the Resource Sheet. If you define a different cost rate table for another category of work, you can specify which cost rate table is to be used at the assignment level To do this, follow these steps:

In a task view such as the Gantt Chart view, use the Assign Resources dialog box to assign the resource to the task.

Click View, Task Usage or View, Resource Usage to switch to an assignment view.

Click the assignment that needs a different cost rate table applied and then click Assignment Information on the Standard toolbar.

If necessary, click the General or Tracking tab.

In the Cost Rate Table list, click the cost rate table you want to apply to this assignment

In the Assignment Information dialog box, select which cost rate table should be used for this assignment.
There is no way to enter a description for the different cost rate tables to explain what each one is to be used for. Because of this, it's a good idea to enter a resource note for any resource that uses multiple cost rate tables. Simply click the Notes tab in the Resource Information dialog box and enter the note

W

Weerayuth S.

Dear Jain,

Thank you so much for your kind and indept reply.
I've tried according to your suggestion.
I can put 3 different OT rates for my resource.

However, for each assignment, I will need to select the correct OT rate by
myself.
I don't think MS Project select the right OT rate if the task was done
during weekend.

Thank you very much.

BR,
Weerayuth S.

W

Weerayuth S.

Dear Jain,

In the resource's cost rate table; there is only "effective date" column.
There is no "effective time" column.

So in this case, I can configure $100/h during 1 Jan - 30 Jun 2008 and then
after 30 Jun 2008 the rate is $120/h.

But what I want is the OT rate during 18:30 -24:00 is $150 and during
weekend $300. So I have to manually select the relevant cost table.

It's ok. But it will need more effort.

Thank you very much.

Ask a Question