How to change font & size of (all) citation numbers?

Reaction score
I have Word 16 & use a recent Macbook.

I want to re-format the endnote citation numbers that appear in the body of a document (say at the end of a sentence).

I know how to re-format them from (say) 1 2 3 to i ii iii. But I need to format the font and size of every such number in the doc. All at once. This is because they presently appear in different fonts & sizes almost every time I insert an endnote. A way to prevent that in future would be much appreciated also.

The actual endnotes (bottom of the doc) are much easier to format - you just apply a style to the lot. But even here maybe 1 endnote in 30 will be dramatically smaller than the style I specify - especially the citation number that begins it. How to fix this too, please?

Thanks to all.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
By default, Word's 'Endnote Reference' Style - a Character Style - is based on the 'default paragraph font', which means it adopts the underlying characteristics of whatever paragraph it's attached to. If you edit the 'Endnote Reference' Style properties to specify the particular font, point size and other attributes you require, your problem will be resolved.

Reaction score
Thanks Macropod.

I know little about styles I'm afraid.

Do I put the cursor on a reference number in my text, go to the Style pane, click on Current Style, click on Modify Style - which pops up the Properties box - type Endnote Style in the Name field, adjust the setting to the font & size I want for endnote reference numbers, then press OK?

Thanks...

Reaction score
PS: Do the changes apply to every Word doc, or only that one? How do I make it do the former?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In part, that depends on how you update the Style and how you have your existing Word documents configured.

One of the Style editing options is to apply the changes to the template. If you do that, the change will affect all new documents.

For existing documents checking the 'automatically update document styles' option will do likewise for documents based on that template. I don't know where you find that setting on a Mac though. Be careful applying that setting, though, because it will override all Style changes you've made.

Last edited:

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Word templates have one of three extensions - .dot, .dotm, or .dotx. The .dot extension applies to Word 2003 (PC) 2004 (Mac) & earlier. The The .dotm and .dotx extensions denote macro-enabled and non-macro templates, respectively, and apply to all later Word versions. The current default Word template is Normal.dotm. See:

Ask a Question