How to constraint parallel tasks execution

• Thread starter jose.carballosa
  • Start date
J

jose.carballosa

Hi guys,

I just spent hours now trying to figure out how to "constraint" some tasks from being scheduled in parallel under certain conditions, without having to impose a specific sequence myself.

Can you guys maybe help me find a solution?

Here is my scenario:

Let's say we have 3 tasks: T1, T2 and T3, all associated with the work resource R. All 3 tasks take 1 week of work and the work resource R has sufficient capacity to perform all 3 tasks in one week.

Here is the complication: Tasks T2 cannot be executed in parallel with tasks T1 and T3 because of technical reasons, but there is no preferred order between them.

The schedule that I get is: T1, T2 and T3 in week 1 (in parallel)

That schedule that I would like to get is: T1 and T3 in week 1 (in parallel), T2 in week 2

I can achieve this by forcing T1 and T3 as predecessor of T2, but that would be complex and difficult to maintain, because my list of tasks is very large.

Ideally I would like to define a constraint on each task saying that there should not be any parallel task scheduled that meets a condition defined with a formula.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

-José

Ask a Question