How to open multiple instances of Word 365?

Reaction score
I need to open 10 instances of Word but I am able to open maximally 2 instances. How can I open more than two?

I open the second instance via Start > right click on the Word icon > Run as administrator.
Or Ctrl+Shift > click on the Word icon > Run as administrator.

If I repeat the same process again the new instance is not opened only another document in one of the already running instances.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Why so many instances?
The 10 Word Documents are about 100MB big each. (containing pictures, 500 pages)
Word started crashing now when all 10 Docs are running from one instance (in Task Manager).
I was hoping that I could run multiple Word 365 instances (in Task Manager) just like it's possible with Excel 365.
I need to have all Docs open at the same time for what I do. I know that pics in Word is not ideal. I spoke with two programmers about my needs. A custom solution would cost $10.000, so I had to stick with Word :D

That's probably the limitation of Word 365 that I have reached.

Last edited:

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could do with using VBA, but I doubt your PC would be any more stable with 1Gb of documents open, plus however many Gb 10 Word instances would itself require. You'd do well to consider whether allowing Word to compress the pictures in each document would allow you to achieve what you want by reducing the memory demands of each.

Reaction score
These are good ideas but for my purposes, compressed pictures are not the way to go. Also, as you said, the stability of the system would be at risk. Word is not built for what I am trying to do but is the closest out of all options.

I will have to use File explorer with hundreds of folders and ACDSee as a browser for them. I've used this system before. It's stable but doesn't cover certain aspects of my needs and with thousands of pictures, that's a challenge.

I appreciate your help Macropod. All the best!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You might also try adding more RAM to your system so that it spends less time and resources paging content to and from disk.

Ask a Question