I'm sure its an easy answer....

Reaction score
I use an Excel sheet to monitor my available time at work....ie sick, vacation, comp,hours worked, etc.

I have an issue where I use the "if" functions as "if b3>=80, "80",b3"... meaning that if my total comp time available as show in cell b3 is 80 or more, then show the number 80 if not, then show how much time there is. The problem is that I want to use the cell that the "80" is showing in to be a part of a formula. I can subtract or add from that cell only if the number showing is ANYTHING but 80. If it is 80, then no addition or subtraction will work. make sense??

Reaction score
Makes sense. The issue you're having is because when B3 is over 80 you've indicated you want "80" in the cell. You put quotation marks around the 80 so Excel thinks it's text, not a number, so it can't use it for calculations. Simply remove the quotation marks so it looks like this:

=if(b3>=80,80,b3)

This should fix your problem. :)

Ask a Question