Import PRF and Exit

O

Oleg Ogurok

Hi there,

I'm trying to automate profile creation with a .PRF file. The login script
launches the following command:

outlook.exe /importprf file.prf

Is there a way to force Outlook to close itself once the profile is created?

Also, is there a way to suppress the initial "Please enter your full name
and initials below" dialog?

Thanks
-Oleg.

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I'm trying to automate profile creation with a .PRF file. The login script
launches the following command:

outlook.exe /importprf file.prf

Is there a way to force Outlook to close itself once the profile is created?

No. The solution is to have Outlook generate the new profile the next time it runs. Instead of using the command-line switch, follow these steps:

1. Copy the .prf file to the client computer using a login script or other mechanism, or place it in a network folder that will be accessible to the user.

2. In the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup\, delete the REG_BINARY registry key values FirstRun and First-Run or set the value of each one to 0.

3. In the same key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup\, add a REG_SZ string value named ImportPRF.

4. Set the value of the ImportPRF to the path of the .prf file that you deployed in Step 1.

Outlook will process the file in ImportPRF the next time the user starts Outlook.

FYI, this is a tip from my forthcoming book, "Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003," ISBN 1555583261.
Also, is there a way to suppress the initial "Please enter your full name
and initials below" dialog?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\UserInfo
Set the values (REG_BINARY) for UserInitials and UserName. A 00 00 should be
sufficient.

Ask a Question