Installing Office 2010 over Office 2007

C

charliec

I have Office 2007 installed and will be getting Office 2010 shortly. What is the best
procedure for installing Office 2010 over Office 2007?

Thanks for any insights/suggestions!
charliec

J

Jim Cone

With Office 2007 closed you can just insert the Office 2010 disc and follow the prompts.
Myself, I would uninstall Office 2007 (from control panel), reboot, run cCleaner and then install
Office 2010.

On the other hand, you can have both versions installed on the same machine, if there is a need for
it.
(I have four versions of Excel currently installed)
Only one version of Outlook ,however, is allowed, so you have to choose which version of Outlook to
retain.
The catch is... Office 2010 should be installed in a separate drive partition.
Others may argue whether this is necessary, but you are the one that has to live with it.
There are free drive partition applications available for download. I used EaseUs Partition Master.

Don't forget to update.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
Special Sort Excel add-in (30 ways to sort)

<[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

C

charliec

Thankd for the reply Jim.
See below.On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:14:52 -0700, "Jim Cone" <[email protected]> wrote:
With Office 2007 closed you can just insert the Office 2010 disc and follow the prompts.

So, if I insert the 2010 disc and follow the instructions, Office 2010 will install over
Office 2007 in the same folder currently holding Office 2007?
Myself, I would uninstall Office 2007 (from control panel), reboot, run cCleaner and then install
Office 2010.

On the other hand, you can have both versions installed on the same machine, if there is a need for
it.

I don't want both versions - one is enough for my needs.
(I have four versions of Excel currently installed)
Only one version of Outlook ,however, is allowed, so you have to choose which version of Outlook to
retain.
The catch is... Office 2010 should be installed in a separate drive partition.

I assume this is if you are retaining the previous version of Office - right?

J

Jim Cone

Re: "So, if I insert the 2010 disc and follow the instructions, Office 2010 will install over
Office 2007 in the same folder currently holding Office 2007?"

Not exactly, you will end up with some left over folders with or without files.
Some of which 2010 will use and some it won't.
2007 should have an Office12 folder.
2010 should have an Office14 folder.
'---
Jim Cone

C

charliec

So, Jim,

If I uninstall Office 2007 first, will I also lose my Contacts and Calendar Entries in
Outlook? How do I retain those if I uninstall Office 2007 prior to installing Office
2010. If I install 2010 over 2007 will it remove the Office12 folder?

Trying to get everything straight prior to making the installation. Thanks for your
insights.

charliec

J

Jim Cone

I don't know how Outlook is handled if you install 2010 over 2007.
I have never used Outlook. I believe the "Custom" install option provides an option to retain the
older version.

Outlook Express has the ability to export its files to a separate location; Outlook must have the
same option.
You should be doing some sort of backup anyway, on an external drive, as insurance against drive
failure.
You don't get much warning when that occurs.
Sorry, but Outlook is unfamiliar territory.
'---
Jim Cone

Ask a Question