Junk mail is shutting down Entourage

A

Abigail

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC
Email Client: pop

Every once in a while a destructive piece of junk mail gets into my Inbox in Entourage from my Hotmail account - and it just happened again. It's obviously junk so I click on it so that I can then specify it as Junk. However, these destructive ones shut down my Entourage immediately. What I have done in the past is go into my Hotmail account on the web and put that item into the Junk folder, because online you don't have to open the email in order to move it. Then I would go back to Entourage, refresh the mail list and the spam would disappear. However, now that Hotmail has become a POP account, I'm no longer able to refresh my Entourage Inbox and lose that piece of junk. Plus, I'm not aware of a way to put an email into the Junk folder in Entourage without actually clicking on it. So, as far as I can tell, there's no way for me to get that particular piece of spam out of my Inbox EVER. But there must be! I would be grateful for help with this.

BTW, I have no idea what email address the spam comes from because as soon as I click on the email it shuts down Entourage. I can, however, tell you that it says it's from "ParalegalTraining" and the subject line is "Become a paralegal."

Thanks for your help!

M

Michel Bintener

Hi Abigail,

e-mail messages shouldn't normally crash Entourage, but let us look at the
original problem. If you know that a message is likely to make Entourage
crash, disable the preview pane (View>Preview Pane>None) prior to selecting
the message. It is the actual display of the message that causes the crash,
so if the preview pane is disabled, you can select the message without
making Entourage display it. You can then move the message manually to the
Junk or Trash folder, or you can simply hit the junk button in the toolbar.
When you are done, you can re-enable it again via the same menu.

If the message comes from the same source, or usually has the same subject
line, you can also set up a rule to automatically delete messages that meet
these criteria. Post back if you need any help with the setup of such a
rule.

A

Abigail

Awesome - thank you, Michael! I'm embarrassed that it was so simple. But also glad it was so simple. Thanks again!

Ask a Question