Just upgraded to Office 2008, can't find Entourage database

J

joelm

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: imap I just upgraded from Office 2004 to 2008, completed the install, but when I attempt to open Entourage, I get the message: "Entourage Cannot access your data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database." The problem is, no database is listed on the database utility. Another posting suggested that the database is too corrupted to even be found, but it opens up and works fine in Entourage 2004. What to do?

J

Juan I. Cahis

Dear Joel:

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: PowerPC Email Client: imap I just upgraded from Office 2004 to 2008, completed the install, but when I attempt to open Entourage, I get the message: "Entourage Cannot access your data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database." The problem is, no database is listed onthe database utility. Another posting suggested that the database is toocorrupted to even be found, but it opens up and works fine in Entourage 2004. What to do?

Are your copies of Office 2004 and 2008 of the *same* language?

I had the same problem when I upgraded my installed Spanish copy of
Office 2004 to an English copy of Office 2008.

The English Installer of Office 2008 looked for a folder called
"Microsoft User Data", and it didn't found it, because the data
created by the Spanish copy of Office 2004 was located in a folder
called "Datos del Usuario de Microsoft".

Crazy, isn't it?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

J

joelm

Hi Juan,
I'm all English, and both versions had folders inside the Microsoft User Data folder. Good thought, though.
Joel

D

Diane Ross

I just upgraded from Office 2004 to 2008, completed the install, but when I
attempt to open Entourage, I get the message: "Entourage Cannot access your
data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database." The problem is,
no database is listed on the database utility. Another posting suggested that
the database is too corrupted to even be found, but it opens up and works fine
in Entourage 2004. What to do?

The fact that Entourage 2004 will open the database tells me, that you have
not upgraded that Identity to Entourage 2008.

Your Entourage 2004 Identity should be in the Office 2004 Identities folder.
When you install Entourage 2008 it will ask if you want to import and it
will look in the Office 2004 Identities folder or allow you to browse to the
Identity.

The Database Utility cannot see older version of Entourage. Even the EWS
version 13 of Entourage 2008 cannot see the databases of Entourage 2008 v12.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://tinyurl.com/bzcrjy> <-- Entourage mailing list
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/entouragehelp>

J

joelm

It's fixed now, but not without some work and a lot of time getting it done.
I'm not sure what went wrong here, but the 2004 identity was imported and supposedly converted to 2008. But it didn't work, obviously. I went through the import process again and it copied in a new identity, but it wouldn't open because the database was apparently damaged. Now it appears to be fixed, though the imap hasn't fully synched yet. I'll see if that gets up to speed tomorrow.

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

On 1/5/10 9:02 PM, in article [email protected], &quot;[email protected]&quot; wrote:

I'm not sure what went wrong here, but the 2004 identity was imported and supposedly converted to 2008. But it didn't work, obviously. I went through the import process again and it copied in a new identity, but it wouldn't open because the database was apparently damaged. Now it appears to be fixed, though the imap hasn't fully synched yet. I'll see if that gets up to speed tomorrow.

If there are issues, I suggest that you move the imported Entourage 2008 Identity to a new Entourage 2008 using export as .rge or MBOX. This will clear up any corruption that was imported.

How to manually move your data. (when import fails and/or you need to move to a new Identity same version or revert to an older version)

--
Diane

Ask a Question