Known issues with Pivot Tables corrupting spreadsheets?

D

Doug_Scott

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have a spreadsheet I had been using to track my time on various projects. I set up a reasonable billing process with a pivot table in a separate tab. Initially the table was fairly simple, pulling data from the first tab using a dynamic named range.

Billing process was to make specific page selections in the table by customer and time period, then copy & paste the table to Word for a pretty print out.

That's just some background. Worked for the first bill. Then I added a formula columns for a better presentation (bill by quarter hour, show a rate calculation). This seemed fine. I used the spreadsheet until yesterday, saving regularly, but apparently saving some corrupted portion, all the while leaving the spreadsheet open.

Today I closed and attempted to reopen and was informed, simply, "Unable to read file". The interesting thing is that previous saved versions of the file were also corrupt (apparently). The latest saved version of the spreadsheet that I could successfully recover was five days old (before the additions mentioned above).

As conceptually the pivot table against recorded tasks was working pretty well not only for billing but for time analysis, I'd really like to be able to confidently leverage it, but I'm concerned that pivot tables may be known to be unstable. Is this an issue anyone is aware of? If so, is anyone awaiting an update?

I'd be tempted to send a copy, but there is sensitive client information in there, blah blah blah. I'd need some assurances, I can take that offline with any CSR that may be interested enough to pursue.

Thanks,

Doug

Ask a Question