Link Named Ranges from Excel to Visio (2k7)

T

Travis Tauzier

I am working on a network diagram template, and I am trying to automate the process by using named ranges in excel and linking them to various locatons in my visio document. I was able to do this successfully.

I'm trying to add another named range to my document but I'm not able to do this. I keep getting an error "Visio is unable to change the link source as requested". Then I am asked if I want to correct the link. Clicking yes brings me back to the file browser, and no brings me back to the Links dialog box.

I notice after clicking "no", on the links dialog box the source is listed as ...data.xlsx\Test\Test instead of ...data.xlsx!Test as it does with my other named ranges.

I created this range the same way I created the others. I have also installed some windows updates since creating the other links. Can anyone help identify what I'm doing wrong???

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Silverlight 2 Beta 2: Doing Data Part II
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...82-69ba695d7e5d/silverlight-2-beta-2-doi.aspx

S

SSi308

I had the same issue. This is how I resolved it:
Delete the linked object in Visio.
In Excel enable all Macros (I know not secure, but if you only open from
trusted sources...)
Open the Excel spreadsheet you want to link to.
Name your range, (I did not use any spaces in the name and selected Workbook
as the scope)
Save and close the file.
In Visio, insert the Excel spreadsheet as a Link
Select the object just inserted and on the Edit menu go to Links
Click on Change source
Select the file name
in the Item Name: field enter the named range preceded by the sheet name and
an exclamation Mark. For example: Sheet1!namedrange
Click OK if prompted to update other links click no

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question