Link that sends appointment to Outlook calendar

E

Echo

I work in an academic department that runs monthly workshops. The e-mail is sent to faculty DL and they can reply if they would like to attend.

Currently, we must reply to each e-mail with a confirmation e-mail. We would like to have a small icon or link that the faculty can click on that would add the event to the faculty member's Outlook calendar, as well as send us an e-mail notification that the person would like to attend the workshop.

I'm not sure if you can help with this, but I've tried Google searches to no avail. Is it possible? (I'd love to believe anything is possible.)

I hope that you're not too busy to respond; any ideas, information, or even a formal name for the process would be of great assistance.

Thanks,
Echo

V

Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

That almost sounds like a job for iCal/vCal file. Sites like eVite and such
use them

E

Echo

We actually need to be using Outlook. I would love to use open source calendars, but it's unfortunately not my decision.

Does this mean what I'm asking cannot be done? If I were more knowledgeable about the subject, I'd attempt to code it myself ... but of course I'm not.

Please let me know if anyone might have a solution for our issue. Thanks!!

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Create an appointment in Outlook. Save it as an .ics or .vcs file. Upload that file to your web server. Include a link to the uploaded file in your message.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54

Ask a Question