Linked Tbl Mgr behavior

Discussion in 'Access Table Design' started by Russ, Dec 20, 2010.

  1. Russ

    Russ Guest

    When I want to link tables to the front end using the link tables
    manager it willl ask me to select the back end for each and every
    table wheras in prior versions of Access I only had to make this
    choice once if I checked the box "always prompt for new location".
    This is tedious. I'm using Access 2007 Enterprise version.
     
    Russ, Dec 20, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:39:21 -0600, Russ <> wrote:

    >When I want to link tables to the front end using the link tables
    >manager it willl ask me to select the back end for each and every
    >table wheras in prior versions of Access I only had to make this
    >choice once if I checked the box "always prompt for new location".
    >This is tedious. I'm using Access 2007 Enterprise version.


    I've seen this happen if the links aren't all to the same backend. Yes, it's a
    pain! What I'll sometimes do is just delete all the links in the frontend, and
    use External Data... Link to create new links.

    If all of the linked tables have links to the same backend, this (usually)
    isn't necessary.

    --

    John W. Vinson [MVP]
    Microsoft's replacements for these newsgroups:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/
    and see also http://www.utteraccess.com
     
    John W. Vinson, Dec 20, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Russ

    Russ Guest

    I think that is it. I had a couple of testing backends and
    inadvertently one of the links was pointing to a table in a different
    db. It took me awhile to see it among all the table locations, but I
    finally got it going.


    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:47:29 -0700, John W. Vinson
    <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:39:21 -0600, Russ <> wrote:
    >
    >>When I want to link tables to the front end using the link tables
    >>manager it willl ask me to select the back end for each and every
    >>table wheras in prior versions of Access I only had to make this
    >>choice once if I checked the box "always prompt for new location".
    >>This is tedious. I'm using Access 2007 Enterprise version.

    >
    >I've seen this happen if the links aren't all to the same backend. Yes, it's a
    >pain! What I'll sometimes do is just delete all the links in the frontend, and
    >use External Data... Link to create new links.
    >
    >If all of the linked tables have links to the same backend, this (usually)
    >isn't necessary.
     
    Russ, Dec 20, 2010
    #3
  4. Russ

    Tony Toews Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:13:09 -0600, Russ <>
    wrote:

    >I think that is it. I had a couple of testing backends and
    >inadvertently one of the links was pointing to a table in a different
    >db. It took me awhile to see it among all the table locations, but I
    >finally got it going.


    FWIW I now have code that on startup goes down the tabledefs and
    compares the connect string. If any differences it displays an error
    message along with the offending details.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
    For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
    updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/
     
    Tony Toews, Dec 21, 2010
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. sd diamonds

    Working with recall info from a tbl - runtime error

    sd diamonds, Sep 3, 2004, in forum: Access Table Design
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    72
    sd diamonds
    Sep 3, 2004
  2. Matt Fragale via AccessMonster.com

    Strange linked table behavior

    Matt Fragale via AccessMonster.com, Feb 17, 2005, in forum: Access Table Design
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    92
    Matt Fragale via AccessMonster.com
    Feb 21, 2005
  3. cs
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    109
  4. LMB

    Tbl design for expiration dates

    LMB, Feb 17, 2006, in forum: Access Table Design
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    145
  5. LMB

    More tbl Design for expriation date

    LMB, Feb 19, 2006, in forum: Access Table Design
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    78
    Duane Hookom
    Feb 27, 2006
  6. Jen27
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    77
    John Vinson
    Mar 14, 2006
  7. Rob S

    One Tbl? Or three?

    Rob S, Nov 26, 2010, in forum: Access Table Design
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    194
    Tony Toews
    Nov 27, 2010
  8. Russ

    No display of Linked Table Mgr

    Russ, Apr 20, 2011, in forum: Access Table Design
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    223
Loading...