Lost my Table of Contents , Appendices and Page numbers ?

Reaction score
Unsure why but i have lost my Table of Contents as well as the Appendices and the page numbers at the footer in my word document? Is it something i have changed in the Captions/Table of Contents unsure?

When the Document is shown in Print Layout Mode the text shown is a string :

{TOC\o "1-3"\ z\t "QGC Heading1,1,QGC Heading3,4QGC Heading2,2 QGC Heading 4,4"}

All the word Documents that i open show exactly the same wording for their respective Table of Contents, Appendices and no page numbers too.

However when the the Document is shown in Read Mode the Table of Contents and Appendices are shown correctly.?
When the documents are sent to other Laptops, they remain correct in Print Layout Mode , so its only affected my Laptop.
The word version is Microsoft Word 2016.

Thank you to anybody who can help me here....:)

Mike

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have managed to toggle Word's field code display 'on'. Pressing Alt-F9 toggles it on/off. See also the 'show field codes instead of their values' option, under File|Options|Advanced>Show Document Content.

Ask a Question