Mac OS 10.5 Leopard breaks special paper sizesupport (envelop and label)

H

hdjong

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

For a long time we use MS Office for Macintosh (98, X, 2004 and 2008) and could print on our housstyle paper media Envelop (15,6 x 22 cm) and label (12,4 x 26 cm). But when we install MS Office 2008 on a Apple Macintosh with OS X 10.5 Leopard we are unable to print on our special paper size Envelop and label.

The Print preview looks all right. We print on HP laserjet 4100 printer. We use tray 1 for special paper sizes. In the print windows we select tray 1 manual. The printer shows in the display load A4 paper even when we setup paper size to our custom paper size.

We can print on our custom paper size from Apple Address Book and text editor. But Word does noet send the custom paper size to the printer with the print job.

In MS Word we can print to PDF. The pdf is created in the right custom paper size! With Apple preview we can print the label as it should be.

We also tried on a Xerox printer with the same result (cannot print on custom paper size envelop and label).

My conclusion is MS Word installed on a Mac OS X version 10.5 (Leopard) cannot print on cutom paper size.

C

CyberTaz

Well, I'm not certain how valid your "conclusion" is :) Word uses a
different set of OS X print services that Text Edit & Address Book. And, as
you wrote, Word does fine with the PDF which uses a different printer &
driver than the other two printers you mentioned... Have you checked for
updated drivers for the HP & the Xerox?

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

H

hdjong

I think it is the combination of MS Office 2008 and Leopard. I can print the pdf from Adobe Reader and Adobe Illustrator also. The only difference is I have to define a custom paper size in the print dialog window. In Word I also select the custom paper size but is not send with the print job. Instead A4 paper is used.

The odd thing is I can't select a custom paper size in the preference pane as standard paper size for the HP Laserjet.

I use the latest version MS Office (12.1.5) and the latest version OS X 10.5.6. Normally we use the standard printer driver supplied with OS X and the updates (HP Laserjet 4100 Series v.3010.107). For this problem I have also tried the latest printer driver from the HP support site.
HP LaserJet Mac OS X Installer Print Only Software Solution for v10.2 - 10.5
7.8.0.761 28 Jan 2008
Without success.

The same problem is also discussed on the HP forum:
<http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...47627+1237207824081+28353475&threadId=1176416>

We hope Microsoft and or Apple is working on a solution so we can upgrade from system 10.4 to 10.5

Ask a Question