Macros: "project is unviewable," can't edit template

Reaction score
Hello,

Until this morning, I kept my personal macros in normal.dotm, but an issue with a third-party program (MemoQ) made me move them to a template stored in STARTUP. My macros still work just fine; however, I can't edit them. When I try to step into one, I get the "project is unviewable" message.

I have tried editing the template that holds them, but when I try to open it, what I get is a new, blank Word document. It will display and use my macros, but I still can't edit them.

For example, right now I just opened a new, blank document. Via the Developer tab, I can see that there are two templates open, one of which is the one holding my macros. So far, so good. I click on Macros and I see them all, but the "Edit" button is grayed out and "Step Into" gives me the "project unviewable" message.

I saw in an old post here in this forum that "Word makes a distinction between loading an add-in and explicitly opening it," so perhaps this applies to templates too and what I need is to open it, but clicking on it will just create a new document, as stated above.

I am stuck. Can anyone help, please?

Iza