Mail merge - how to include variable paragraphs without unnecessary spacing?

N

natalia.swieca

Hi,

In my mail merges I need to use series of paragraphs formatted in a specific way (as below). Some of these need to always be there, some are variable i.e. need to disappear for certain individuals dependednt on a specific condition. E.g.

Title of the Paragraph A

1. Content of the paragraph A. Always there.

Title of the Paragraph B

2. Content of the paragraph B. It will only be there if a certain conditionis met, e.g. the individual has worked for the company for over 2 years.

Paragraph B

3. Content of the paragraph B. Always there.

Currently the way I approach is by using "if" formula in excel data feed, that will end up in empty content when the condition is not met and some content when it is met. This works fine if the condition is met and there is content.

However, if e.g. someone worked for the company for less than 2 years, and the paragraph needs to be absent, this creats too many gaps, as there will be one empty line instead of the title, one empty line instead of the paragraph, and one empty line that was dividing the two. So it ends up looking like this.

Title of the Paragraph A

Title of Paragraph C

2. Content of the paragraph C. Always there.

rather than being neat and looking like this:

Title of Paragraph A

Title of Paragraph C

2. Content of the paragraph C. Always there.

I would really appreciate advice on this one!!!

Ask a Question