Main database navigation form

D

Dave Thomas

Let me breifly expalin why I am in the situation I am in, I work for a company in business 114 years with little computerized system. I came on board 2 years ago and have been developing Access databases (due to extremely tight budgets that is what I have to work with). These database needed to be brought on line as needed. hence, my problem

Is there a way through Access or another program that a main navigation form could be built to access the various Access databases without an extreme amount of work, at this time different users need access to different database.

Thanks for any help
Dave Thomas

J

Jeff Boyce

Dave

Not sure I understand the business need. If certain users only need to use
certain databases (i.e., applications), why would they need a "main menu"
that listed all?

That said, one approach (not a good idea, mind you!) might be to combine all
the databases together into one, then use your "main menu" to work in each
separate area.

A suggestion, if you haven't already, is that you separate the back-end
(data) from the front-end (everything else). Place the back-end on your
network, and a copy of the front-end on each desktop that needs to use the
application.

D

Dave Thomas

Thanks for oyur input Jef

THe reason I need or would assist me in doing this is that certain managers need access to 4-5 of these databases and could more easily switch between them if needed, Unfortunately many of our users a computer ignorant at best. I had thought about the idea of putting all the databases into one large database but have decided against that route. I haven't yet split the databses but am thinking that may be the way to go, the databases already reside on a server in their complete form, I guess I will just have to make the time to split these and create a front-end into them. Just was sort of hoping there would be some other solution that could get me by until the time allows itself to move in this direction

Peac
Dave Thomas

J

Jeff Boyce

Dave

I'm not suggesting there isn't a way, just observing that I don't know it!
By the way, if you've been having folks run the apps (which live on the
server) over your network, instead of from a front-end on each's desktop,
I'm surprised that:
1) the network police haven't slapped your wrist for hogging bandwidth,
and
2) the applications haven't regularly gotten corrupted and required
fixing.

A REAL BAD IDEA to have multiple folks able to run a single file located on
a server (at least for Access). Split that puppy right away!

Ask a Question