Margins on Word document which will not let me move them using the ruler arrows

Reaction score
With Microsoft Office Word on Windows 7 Professional, I am trying to overcome the sudden inability to move the side ruler settings to bring down the top and bring up the bottom margins. This I could do before, but since last week, they just stick tight. I no longer see an appropriate arrow to let me pull them as I could before. The local IT guy cannot resolve this for me.

I would appreciate assistance in how to get back the proper arrow which lets me adjust the used height of the paper. I can open a new document off a troublesome document, but it insists on keeping the 'almost off the edge' margin settings.. I cannot get the template to reset should that be the problem.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is no 'arrow' for moving the margins - all that happens is that the ruler display changes colour where the margins begin (typically from white to grey). You can drag the intersection of that colour change up/down to change the top/bottom margin, as appropriate.

In any event, what you may have done is uncheck the 'Show whitespace between pages in Print Layout view' option, under File|Options|Display. Re-checking that option will allow the top/bottom margins to display again.

Reaction score
Thank you! Problem solved with your assistance. I had no idea what it was I had done. I shall remember the solution.

Ask a Question