R

rroesel

I have 500 various Office 2003 templates. Is there a way to convert all of
them to .dotx files en masse? I would hate to open and save each one
individually.

B

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi R.,

It depends a bit on your goal in doing the conversion and how often you use the templates what approach might work best for you as
far as batch vs individual conversion and test. In either case, be sure to backup and keep a working version of each of your
existing templates.

There are MS tools for deployment migration to batch convert 97-2003 files to 2007 format
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179179(TechNet.10).aspx
but your existing .dot templates are also supported in Office 2007. There are a couple of things you may want to consider as part
of an evaluation that there really isn't a shortcut for in place of examining each template and that can vary by application. For
Word, these include

- Do the templates contain macros? If so, then the file type would be .dotM, as .dotX files cannot contain 'active content'.

- If the templates contain macros, you may want to test that they still operate. Most will, without modification, but it depends
on the features you used and how the macros were strucured (i.e. do they call specific dialogs by name or emulate keystroke
sequences that may not be available) in the new interface.

- Do you have custom toolbars? If your templates contain a custom toolbar or menu created in a version prior to Word 2007? If so,
then those toolbars can no longer be created inside of Word 2007's user interface, but existing custom toolbars (not customizations
to a built in toolbars), but perhaps not all of the commands on them, will be available in the Word 2007 add-ins tab.

=============
I have 500 various Office 2003 templates. Is there a way to convert all of
them to .dotx files en masse? I would hate to open and save each one
individually.>>
--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

R

rroesel

Thanks Bob, you were very helpful.
I will backup my 2003 templates and