Message says password needed to open an unprotected PowerPoint

G

georgek

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I tried repeatedly today to open a number of PowerPoint files I created earlier (in PowerPoint 2008 for Mac). Every time, I get a dialog saying "This presentation is protected by a password or Digital Rights Management (DRM). To access the presentation, you must have a version that is not protected by a password or DRM." What's the problem? What's the fix?

S

Steve Rindsberg

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I tried repeatedly today to open a number of PowerPoint files I created earlier (in
PowerPoint 2008 for Mac). Every time, I get a dialog saying "This presentation is protected
by a password or Digital Rights Management (DRM). To access the presentation, you must have
a version that is not protected by a password or DRM." What's the problem? What's the fix?
Where did the files come from? Assuming you're not the author, I'd contact the source and
ask whether they've applied any form of protection (there are several types available on the
Windows side). They may need to supply you a file w/o protection if they need you to be
able to view it. Alternatively, they might be able to send a PDF or the like.

================================================
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

G

georgek

Steve - Thanks for your reply. These are files that I created in PowerPoint 2008:Mac for a client who's using PowerPoint 2007:Win. In testing one of the files last night, I had him send me the file unprotected. The behavior on my end is the same as before: my PowerPoint is saying the file is protected, AND it is not allowing me to enter a password.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Steve - Thanks for your reply. These are files that I created in PowerPoint
2008:Mac for a client who's using PowerPoint 2007:Win. In testing one of the
files last night, I had him send me the file unprotected. The behavior on my end
is the same as before: my PowerPoint is saying the file is protected, AND it is
not allowing me to enter a password.

So these are files that he's opened and resaved?

I wouldn't expect PPT/Mac to ask for a password. It's never supported the sort
of password protection that's been available on the Windows versions for a couple
of years, but (at least through Mac/2004) a password protected file would always
produce an error message about the file being corrupt, not the one that you've
seen. Perhaps this has changed in 2008 (which I don't have).

But there's also a different sort of protection that involves a kind of server
authentication of the user before the file can be opened. I don't know much
about this because it's not supported in all editions of Office 2007 and requires
a server to handle the authentication. A bit more than I'm able to bring to bear
for testing purposes. <g>

But you might ask the client if they've applied rights management when saving, or
whether their IT department has set things up so this happens automatically.

And if the files are not confidential (or you can repro the problem on a "safe to
distribute" file) I'd be happy to see if I can make anything of it on the Windows
end where I mostly live. Email small files to steve at-sign pptools dot com

Include a copy of our exchange here in the body of the email. Don't trust my
memory. I don't.

Don't what? What was I saying just now?

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Ask a Question