Message Status Icons missing from Inbox (On My Computer)

K

kcjones76

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

We've recently upgraded one of our clients to the current Web Services Edition (13.0). We provide hosted Exchange services for them. Prior to the upgrade some users had rules set up to copy/move the messages that land in their Inbox (Exchange mailbox) to their Inbox (On My Computer). They set it up this way so as they dealt with incoming messages they would file them into local folders/subfolders. Although they could use the Move function to relocate the messages from the Inbox (Exchange mailbox) to these local folders, it's an extra steps they find overly tedious...

As they only have 2GB mailboxes on the Exchange server, they are unable to move those folders online (with some running 10-15GB in size)

Now to get to the actual problem. Prior to 13.0, when a user would reply to a message that resides in the Inbox (On My Computer) which was copied/moved from the Inbox (Exchange mailbox), it would be tagged accordingly in the message status column for that message. This would highlight the status of message, i.e. replied, forwarded, redirected, etc.

In 13.0 this is no longer the case. What does seem to work as expected however, is when they reply to the message within the actual Inbox of the Exchange mailbox, that original message gets tagged appropriately.

What has changed? Can we get that back? I've tried moving the messages versus copying but that's doesn't seem to make a difference. In a way this makes sense, as a move is simply interpreted as a copy then delete from the Exchange server, hence the message is not the original.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

W

William Smith [MVP]

Now to get to the actual problem. Prior to 13.0, when a user would
reply to a message that resides in the Inbox (On My Computer) which
was copied/moved from the Inbox (Exchange mailbox), it would be
tagged accordingly in the message status column for that message.
This would highlight the status of message, i.e. replied, forwarded,
redirected, etc.

In 13.0 this is no longer the case. What does seem to work as
expected however, is when they reply to the message within the actual
Inbox of the Exchange mailbox, that original message gets tagged
appropriately.

What has changed? Can we get that back? I've tried moving the
messages versus copying but that's doesn't seem to make a difference.
In a way this makes sense, as a move is simply interpreted as a copy
then delete from the Exchange server, hence the message is not the
original.

I don't have access to an EWS server but I can confirm that copying a
message from an Exchange account to a folder "On My Computer" does
indeed retain the message status.

This may simply be an oversight by the developers while transitioning to
the new EWS protocol.

Please be sure to let Microsoft know you'd like to see this feature
corrected in future versions by using the Help --> Send Feedback
mechanism in any Office application. I'll also pass this along to my
contacts at Microsoft.

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://nine.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/youtalk>
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/meck>

K

kcjones76

Hey Bill,

I might need to clarify considering your first paragraph. The actual message resides "On My Computer" BEFORE the user replies to it. Based on your response, I believe you understood me to mean that the message is replied to within the Exchange mailbox, gets tagged with the "replied" status icon, then copied to "On My Computer" resulting in losing it's status icon for that copy.

It is not a case of the user replying to the messages while it still remains in the Exchange mailbox. The user replies to the copy that reside "On My Computer".

Just wanted to make sure my issue was clearly communicated. Thanks!

Ask a Question