Migrating app from 2003 to 2010

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an experienced developer, but I usually live in the Unix world, so please bear with me as I try and work with MSFT technologies.

I'm helping someone out who has a legacy 'Visual Basic for Applications 7.0' app that integrates Access with Excel, pulling data from a third-party SQL database.

The app was originally written in a Office 2003 environment, so as they're now using Windows 7 and Office 2010 - it's pretty broken :(

The major point of failure is that there is a form defined that includes an embedded Excel Worksheet (initially empty). The empty Worksheet is not shown in the form design when running in the new environment, and all references to the Worksheet fail (amongst other problems).

I'm considering rewriting the app under the current technologies, salvaging as much of the VB code as possible.

What's the latest greatest way to integrate Access, Excel, and third-party SQL databases?

Any advice appreciated.

Ask a Question