Mixed format style in 2007

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to set up a style for figure captions that includes a number and title in bold and an explanation or description in nonbold. The problem is with specifying both bold and nonbold in the same style. I can either get the style working with everything in bold, or with all of the text not in bold.

something like:-
Figure 5.3. Cauliflower seed germination. A: Control in water, B: 1 hour soak in GAA, C: 12 hour soak in GAA, D: 1 hour soak in karrikin. All seeds were presoaked in distilled water for 24 hours and photographed 48 hours after treatment.

Reaction score
It does not look like that I can do it, at least according to all of the local experts.

What is needed, at its most general, is the ability for a style to impose one sort of formatting in part of a paragraph and another sort of formatting in the rest of the paragraph. In this case it is bold and nonbold formatting, but it could be anything, and nowhere have I seen anything like that mentioned. If it existed then it would probably imply nested styles.

Edit:-
After a bit of digging I have found where the styles are defined; in a styles.xml file zipped up in a file called normal.dotm I can make simple format changes, rezip, and see them as a changed style in Word, but I don't see how to extend the definition to do what I want.

The style definition that I am looking at is:
<w:style w:type="paragraph" w:customStyle="1" w:styleId="ThesisFigureCaption">
<w:name w:val="Thesis Figure Caption"/>
<w:basedOn w:val="Normal"/>
<w:next w:val="Normal"/>
<w:autoRedefine/>
<w:rsid w:val="006A1987"/>
<w:pPr>
<w:numPr>
<w:ilvl w:val="7"/>
<w:numId w:val="12"/>
</w:numPr>
</w:pPr>
<w:rPr>
<w:rFonts w:ascii="Times New Roman" w:hAnsi="Times New Roman"/>
<w:sz w:val="20"/>
<w:lang w:val="fr-FR" w:eastAsia="fr-FR"/>
</w:rPr>
</w:style>

Regards.

Last edited:

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The Caption Style is a paragraph-level Style, which means that whatever format is has applies to the whole paragraph. The way to achieve what you want is to format the Caption Style as 'non-bold', then apply a bold character Style to the part that you want bolded. Unfortunately, that bolding will still have to be done separately from creating the caption, though the bolding could be automated with a macro.

Ask a Question