Moving & Upgrading to Outlook 2010 in stand alone mode - GMail IMAP questions

S

Steve-Cork

Hello,

I have a client running Outlook 2007 in stand alone mode on an XP SP3 box. I am moving him to an new Windows 7 Pro PC with Outlook 2010 (stand alone mode - both 32bit) and I am not quite sure how to migrate his email.

He has 2 large GMail IMAP accounts and 1 (non-gmail) POP account.

The Outlook data files are as follows:-

Outlook.PST - >4Gb
GmailImap1.PST - 2.5Gb
GmailImap2.PST - 2.2Gb
Archive.PST - 1.4Gb

All this was setup by someone else long before I got involved.

If I setup the GMail IMAP accounts on the new PC, in Outlook 2010 they are going to an age to sync / populate. Can I setup up the IMAP accounts off-line, so to speak, and then import the relevant PST file for each IMAP account before connecting to GMail - and will Gmail take account of the pre-existing data files if I do this and sync up in minutes rather than days? Or, doI have to just set these accounts up and leave them to populate over time?

Also, I presume that both the Outlook.PST and Archive.PST belong to the POPaccount - but I am not sure about how this archive came about and am even less sure how to bring this over to Outlook 2010.

I might be worrying unduly about all this but I would appreciate any comments & insights before I try and move my client's mails as they have a slow internet connection and I really do want this to work at the first try.

Finally, just to add to the legacy complications, the POP account, though large, is now barely used and I would like, once I have imported the PST's for the POP account into Outlook 2010 - to stop recieving new mail for that account and instead get one of the GMail accounts to "POP import" new mail into its own IMAP store - and then remove the POP account from Outlook. Complicated though it sounds he still needs ready access to these old emails -and I have to find a simple way to import & archive to achieve this. Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Ask a Question