MS Word 2007 files taking too long to open after new internet connection

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a strange problem opening (not closing) local MS Word 2007 files in Win 7.

The files open readily when I am NOT connected to the internet.

The files open readily when I AM connected to the internet via my USB dongle (with a sim card, mobile internet connection).

The files USED TO open readily when I was connected to the internet using broadband.

I have recently acquired a Wi-Fi Hub (JioFi 3) which has one USB port (for charging and for connecting to the net).

When I use tethering to connect to the internet using the Wi-Fi Hub, even a new, empty file takes almost a minute to open. Larger files take even longer.

When I disconnect the Wi-Fi Hub, the Word files again begin to open normally.

I did not configure the Wi-Fi Hub manually; it installed automatically without any errors (other than a Linux related one).

Also, I did not have to “connect” to the internet; the device connects to the internet as soon as it is powered on or connected to the PC.

There are no other people sharing the Wi-Fi Hub; I am the lone user.

On another PC with Win 7 and Office 2007, I could not replicate the problem.

A friend says to reinstall MS Office and turn off the online help option that comes during the installation. Does that make sense?

Can you help resolve this problem, please?

Best regards,
Ravi

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Reinstalling Word/Office is unlikely to help at all.

When you start Word, it gathers information to use for document formatting and printing operations. If the files, drivers, or fonts are damaged, missing, or located on a remote server, Word can require more time to connect to the server and gather the information that it needs. If Word starts very slowly, or other operations, such as opening or printing documents, also are very slow, this may be due to any one or more of:
• Microsoft Windows using a printer driver located on a network print server, instead of a local printer driver on your hard disk. When you use a remote printer driver, you may notice that it takes longer to change your default printer setting, and sometimes Word may print documents more slowly than you may expect.
• Word is installed on your computer, but Word was once running from the network. When the computer is not connected to the network, there is a long delay when you are opening documents.
• Fonts that are used in the Word document are damaged or missing from the system, and Word cannot substitute other fonts in the document.
To resolve the issues, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280821

Similarly, when you open a Microsoft Word document when connected to a network, it may take longer than expected to open if the document has a template attached or linked and one of the following conditions is true:
• The attached template, its folder, or its share is missing.
• The attached template has been moved.
• The attached template has been renamed.
• A linked file referenced by the document is missing, has been moved or renamed.
When a Word template is missing, Windows will try to locate the missing template multiple times. The process of locating a missing template may cause a Word document to take longer than expected to open.
To resolve the template issues, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830561
If you're opening the file from a completely different location (e.g. at home instead of at work), simply disconnecting from the internet while opening the file can improve performance.

Finally, when you open a Microsoft Word document linked to an Excel workbook, it may take longer than expected to open, especially when connected to a network. For a registry patch to reduce such delays, see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/970154
Note that the registry subkey referred to in the article depends on the Office version:
• Office 2007 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options
• Office 2010 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options
• Office 2013 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options
• Office 2016 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Options

Reaction score
Hi Macropod,

Thanks for the tips.

It is going to take be some time digesting all you have said.

I would like to say a few things that may help narrow down the problem:

1) The Word files are on my PC hard disk and I always work on them on that PC alone.

2) Even when I am connected to the Internet through my USB dongle (with a SIM card, mobile internet connection), there is absolutely no degradation in Word’s performance.

3) The problem occurs only when I connect to the Internet via the Wi-Fi Hub (JioFi 3) using USB to USB (not Wi-Fi). I haven’t tried connecting via the Wi-Fi yet, but will as soon as I get a USB Wi-Fi adapter and see if that makes a difference.

4) I faced a somewhat similar situation at my college once. We were connected to a server via a LAN. When the router had a problem (for example, power was off), MS Word files took forever to open. At that time, just unplugging the cat cable from the NIC instantly restored MS Word’s speed.

I strongly feel that the problem lies in the LAN set up by the Wi-Fi Hub (connected via USB to PC).

MS Word seems to be going on a wild-goose chase.

After opening one Word file, the subsequent ones (mostly) open normally with the expected speed.

Best regards,
Ravi

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily matter whether the files are on your hard disk; as indicated in my reply, what might matter is whether they are attached to a template stored on a network, were last connected to a network printer, etc.

If the performance is affected by the kind of connection you have (per 2 & 3), then it's probably not Word-related; it's more likely to be something to do with the connection configuration.

Reaction score
The Word files are associated with the template on my PC.
The PC has never been on a network, just connected the Internet via a mobile card and dongle.
The problem is probably not directly Word-related; however, how MS Word searches the environment could help identify the problem.

Reaction score
I installed a USB WI-FI adapter on my PC and connected to the JioFi device through Wi-Fi.

The problem is now gone.

The problem was apparently only when I tethered the Wi-Fi Hub to my PC using a USB port.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ask a Question