Multiple IF Statement in Word

Reaction score
Hello - really stuck on trying to figure something out at work that would make my life alot easier.

I have a simple one column table in a word doc with 6 rows. I have bookmarked it as "CET1"

I would like to have a formula/statement elsewhere in the word doc that is driven off of the SUM value of this table 6 row, 1 column table

IF SUM of CET1 < 2 then "Reject"
IF SUM of CET1 >= 2 and < 10 "Approve"
IF SUM of CET1 >=10 and < 50 "Escalate"
IF SUM of CET1 >= 50 "Management"

Thanks!

Joe

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can use a formula field coded as:
{IF{=SUM(CET1 A:A)}< 2 "Reject" {IF{=SUM(CET1 A:A)}< 10 "Approve" {IF{=SUM(CET1 A:A)}< 50 "Escalate" "Management"}}}

Note: The field brace pairs (i.e. '{ }') for the above example are all created in the document itself, via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac); you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message. Nor is it practical to add them via any of the standard Word dialogues. The spaces represented in the field constructions are all required.

Reaction score
Thanks Macropod - I am new to formulas in Word - would I just paste what you posted above with "Ctrl-F9" into the table?

Also, I thought the braces were input with Ctrl+Shift+Enter?

Or, do I need to Insert -> Quick Parts -> Field?

Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
If I paste what you gave me into the cell of the table in word, remove all of the braces, highlight the text and hit CTRL-F9, it puts the braces in the beginning and end but doesn't actually perform a calculation. Forgive my ignorance but how exactly would I input this into the word doc to make it calculate?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As previously stated, you need to replace ALL of the braces with field braces, not just the outer ones...
Once you've done that, selecting the overall field and pressing F9 will cause it to calculate.

Ask a Question