My mac can't view .pdf files on web nor can it print .pdf files

V

V

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: intel

Hello

This is not specific to Office but I'm hoping someone can help. I installed the latest version of Adobe Acrobat and now I can't view .pdf files on my web browser (safari) nor can I print out any .pdf files.

I can copy the file to my windows and print from there but what a pain!

Everything was working fine until I installed the free Acrobat. I was able to print out .pdf file without Acrobat before. How can I go back to that setting? I deleted the acrobat and want to back to whatever was allowing me to print and view before.

Thanks!

V

V

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I can print .doc files just fine. Just can't print .pdf files. How do I configure my Mac to go back to the old way of print .pdf files (without acrobat?)

C

CyberTaz

It's really not clear what you might have done but I going on the assumption
that you installed Adobe *Reader* - not Adobe Acrobat (which isn't "free" by
a long shot). In doing so it was most likely designated the default app for
PDFs & now that it's gone OS X doesn't know what to open them with.

If I'm right, you need to Control/Right-Click a PDF file, choose Get Info,
then set the Open With to either Safari or Preview & click the button to
Change All.

V

V

Thank you so much! That worked! I didn't know which software originally opened my .pdf files so I didn't know how to reconfigure the .pdf files to open up with something new.

Yes, it was Reader that I had downloaded. I didn't realize it had a different name than the paid version.

When I am surfing on the internet, sometimes I need to click a link that goes to a .pdf file but it opens up to a blank page so I can't view it through my browser. I can download it to my desktop and view it from there but that is also a pain. How do I get my safari to use Preview to open up the .pdf files?

Thanks a bunch!

C

CyberTaz

Glad it worked for you - Thanks for taking the time to let us know!

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question